JCDecaux SA (Euronext Paris: DEC), the number one outdoor advertising company worldwide, announced today that it has won the advertising contract for Lilongwe International Airport, the main airport in Malawi (population: 16 million), also known as Kamuzu International Airport.
This exclusive 10-year contract will include the installation, operation, upgrade and maintenance of indoor and outdoor communication solutions. As part of the renewal of the airport's indoor advertising, JCDecaux will implement state-of-the-art traditional and digital advertising structures to modernise the airport's image and services and enhance the passenger experience whilst offering excellent visibility to advertisers.
Kamuzu International Airport is an international airport serving Lilongwe, the capital city of Malawi. It was built in 1977 by the Nello L. Teer Company, taking over most airline operations from the old Lilongwe Airport. In 2017, a project to expand the airport was rolled out to add three new buildings to increase the airport passenger capacity by 10%.
In 2016, the airport passenger capacity stood at 224 873. The figure included inbound, outbound and domestic passengers.
Rodrick Chattaika, CEO of Airport Developments Ltd, operator of Lilongwe International Airport, said: “We find our 10 Year partnership with JCDecaux as an excellent avenue for improving and modernising our airport. We chose JCDecaux following an extensive process after looking at their excellent track record in the airport advertising across the world and what they bring in this partnership as we are in the process of expanding and rehabilitating our airport in a Project that has started in 2017 and expected to end in 2019 to give the travelling public the best experience. The new outlook of the airport once the project is completed should give advertisers the best visibility as more airlines have started showing interest in expanding and commencing operations to Lilongwe.”
Jean-Sébastien Decaux, CEO Southern Europe, Belgium and Luxembourg, and CEO Africa and Israel of JCDecaux, said:
“As the number one outdoor advertising company in Africa, we are very proud to have been chosen by Lilongwe International Airport in order to contribute to the airport beautification. This contract underlines JCDecaux Airport’s ability to offer solutions tailored to the airport environment, the ideal location for innovative and interactive advertising campaigns that enhance the passenger experience and provide high visibility for advertisers and their brands. JCDecaux will use the expertise it has acquired across the world to ensure the success of this partnership.”
- 2016 revenue: €3,393m
- JCDecaux is listed on the Eurolist of Euronext Paris and is part of the Euronext 100 and Euronext Family Business indexes
- JCDecaux is part of the FTSE4Good and Dow Jones Sustainability Europe indexes
- N°1 worldwide in street furniture (559,070 advertising panels)
- N°1 worldwide in transport advertising with more than 220 airports and 260 contracts in metros, buses, trains and tramways (354,680 advertising panels)
- N°1 in Europe for billboards (169,860 advertising panels)
- N°1 in outdoor advertising in Europe (721,130 advertising panels)
- N°1 in outdoor advertising in Asia-Pacific (219,310 advertising panels)
- N°1 in outdoor advertising in Latin America (70,680 advertising panels)
- N°1 in outdoor advertising in Africa (29,820 advertising panels)
- N°1 in outdoor advertising in the Middle-East (16,230 advertising panels)
- N°1 worldwide for self-service bike rental scheme: pioneer in eco-friendly mobility
- 1,117,890 advertising panels in more than 75 countries
- Present in 4,280 cities with more than 10,000 inhabitants
- Daily audience: more than 410 million people
- 13,030 employees